The NeuroAdvocate Challenge
SfN’s NeuroAdvocate Challenge paves the way for further advancements in neuroscience by connecting participants with policymakers and the public locally, nationally, and internationally.
- New: Join the Coalition for Health Funding (on Twitter or Instagram) to urge Congress to pass fiscal year 2021 funding and illustrate the harm of long-term continuing resolutions (CRs).
- Whether you retweet, repost, or share your own post – the health and science advocacy community are coming together to voice why we need to #fundhealth. Add your voice, remind Congress about the importance of regular order appropriations funding, and underscore negative impact of long-term CRs.
- Sample Post: “Shutdowns are bad for public health, but so are long-term CRs. Predictable and sustainable funding for programs is required to address the U.S.'s ongoing health care needs. Congress must come together and #fundhealth by passing the FY 2021 appropriations bills ASAP.”
- New: Watch how you can partner with SfN to strengthen your advocacy efforts.
- There are many opportunities to partner with SfN and other like-minded advocates, whether you’re just beginning or have years of experience. SfN has many materials to help you with your advocacy activities on SfN.org, Neuronline, and BrainFacts.org. You may contact us at email@example.com for assistance in your future advocacy efforts.
- Refresh yourself on what advocacy is and why it matters.
- As many are navigating the new school year, review what advocacy is and why it matters. Learn how your voice as a constituent-scientist is particularly valuable and how SfN and the broader scientific community typically collaborate for a larger impact.
- Equip yourself with all the information you need to vote in the 2020 U.S. election, if you are able to vote in the United States.
- Whether you plan to vote in person or by mail, vote.org allows you to register to vote, check your registration, easily reference important dates and deadlines, request an absentee ballot, find your polling place, and/or become a poll worker. Click here to learn more about candidates running for office in your community.
About the Challenge
Over the past 50 years, SfN members and other neuroscientists across the globe have been building an interdisciplinary society aimed at advancing scientific exchange, supporting the neuroscience community, educating and engaging the public, and advocating for the field.
In this landmark year, SfN aims to provide an outlet for NeuroAdvocates to come together to show their dedication to the field. As such, SfN has rolled out the NeuroAdvocate Challenge.
- All past, present, and future NeuroAdvocates are invited to compete in this challenge, regardless of location and experience.
- The challenge is comprised of advocacy activities that can be carried out alongside SfN from Neuroscience 2019 to December of 2020.
- Active NeuroAdvocates will be recognized and will have the chance to attend SfN’s 15th Capitol Hill Day in 2021.
- In order to participate and be eligible, you must sign-up for the challenge. Participants may sign up for the challenge at any time between October 2019 and December 2020, and do not need to attend annual meetings to participate.
- In order to be recognized for your accomplishments, please report back and let SfN know what activities you have carried out.
Questions? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.