The NeuroAdvocate Challenge
SfN’s NeuroAdvocate Challenge paves the way for further advancements in neuroscience by connecting participants with policymakers and the public locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Watch the Neuronline webinar “Black Lives Matter and Neuroscience: Why This Moment Matters.”
- Listen to panelists speak about the challenges diverse neuroscientists face within the field, provide guidance on how the neuroscience community can leverage this moment to influence change, and discuss the impacts of COVID-19 on the tenure clock for junior faculty – namely impacts on faculty of color.
- Read SfN’s statement on the administration’s executive order concerning non-immigrant visa restrictions in the US.
- SfN released the following statement calling for an end to visa restrictions extended by the administration’s recent executive order and reaffirming SfN’s commitment to the free exchange of information, diversity, and global collaboration.
- Share on social media how your research benefits the public, and ask your members of Congress to #fundhealth and #fundscience.
- Briefly share your stories on how your research impacts the public as lawmakers are determining health and science funding levels for COVID-19 relief and fiscal year 2021. Use govtrack.us to find and tag your legislators' social media accounts, incorporate the hashtags #fundhealth and/or #fundscience, and tag SfN.
- Learn about tips on how to develop a digital chapter.
- Read about the new opportunities for chapters to step in and connect the scientific community even more than they already do — through establishing an online presence.
- Tell Congress to support biomedical research funding in FY 21 and the next COVID-19 relief package.
- The House and Senate are negotiating details for fiscal year (FY) 2021 funding levels, as well as the next COVID-19 relief package. Tell Congress to ensure that funding for biomedical research is included at adequate levels and to not forget the relief needed by researchers and investigators across the country.
About the Challenge
Over the past 50 years, SfN members and other neuroscientists across the globe have been building an interdisciplinary society aimed at advancing scientific exchange, supporting the neuroscience community, educating and engaging the public, and advocating for the field.
In this landmark year, SfN aims to provide an outlet for NeuroAdvocates to come together to show their dedication to the field. As such, SfN has rolled out the NeuroAdvocate Challenge.
- All past, present, and future NeuroAdvocates are invited to compete in this challenge, regardless of location and experience.
- The challenge is comprised of advocacy activities that can be carried out alongside SfN from Neuroscience 2019 to December of 2020.
- Active NeuroAdvocates will be recognized and will have the chance to attend SfN’s 15th Capitol Hill Day in 2021.
- In order to participate and be eligible, you must sign-up for the challenge. Participants may sign up for the challenge at any time between October 2019 and December 2020, and do not need to attend annual meetings to participate.
- In order to be recognized for your accomplishments, please report back and let SfN know what activities you have carried out.
Questions? Reach out to us at email@example.com.