Chapter Annual Report
Why do we need to submit an annual report?
To remain active, SfN chapters are required to submit an annual report once every two calendar years. Reports should include information about chapter governance, membership, finances, and activities. For chapters in the United States, submitting the annual report ensures eligibility for nonprofit status for tax purposes. Chapters are also required to attach a final grant report if they received an SfN grant for that year in order to be eligible for future awards or grants. Read the Chapter Grants and Awards page for more information.
All annual reports must be submitted through the online submission portal.
What do I need to know to submit my report?
You must be a chapter representative to log in and submit your annual report. Log into the online submission portal using your SfN credentials.
For security reasons, the server will time out after 20 minutes of inactivity.
Assemble the requested information before beginning the online submission.
What do I need to include?
- Governance: Names of all chapter officers.
- Chapter Demographics: Numbers of current chapter members, institutions involved in chapter activities, business meeting dates, and communications information.
- Finances: Cash balance, total reportable income as well as a breakdown of income (such as grants and dues) and expenses (such as meetings, Brain Awareness Week activities, website fees).
- Tax Information: Most recent filing applicable to your geographic region. For U.S. chapters, 990N/990EZ and employee identification number (EIN) are required.
- Events: Chapter annual meeting information (such as activities, institutions involved, and number of attendees) and information about additional events.
- Chapter Grant Final Report: If your chapter submitted a chapter grant application and received funds, the chapter must spend grant money on the approved budget (submitted with the application) within the year of being awarded. A final financial and project report, with return of unused funds, is due to SfN 30 days after the event. Download the Final Report Guide for instructions on what the report should include.
You must fill in the required fields on each page of the report in order to save that page and continue.
Chapter of the Year Award
The Chapter of the Year (COY) award recognizes chapters for their efforts and accomplishments across a range of activities that support the SfN mission. For consideration, you must submit a short essay detailing your chapter's qualifications (see the award’s criteria.
You must submit a completed chapter annual report through the online submission portal in order to access the COY Award application.
Recipients receive a $1,000 grant to support chapter goals/programs. Awards are presented during the Chapters Workshop at the SfN annual meeting.