Award for Education in Neuroscience
The Award for Education in Neuroscience recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to neuroscience education and training.
Recipients receive complimentary registration, transportation (economy air or ground), and two nights hotel accommodations for the SfN annual meeting.
For more information, please review the Awards and Funding FAQs.
The nomination window for this award is now closed.
Nomination Criteria & Materials
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- Nominees do not need to be SfN members.
- Nominations must be made or endorsed by an SfN member.
- No person may nominate more than one candidate.
- Current SfN officers and councilors are ineligible for nomination.
- Due to potential conflicts of interest, members of the selection committee may not be the nominees, and they cannot serve as nominators nor write letters of recommendation for this prize.
Nomination materials include the following:
- One nomination letter
- Maximum of two optional letters of recommendation (one letter must summarize the nominee's contributions to education and training)
- Current CV
- One optional supporting document in PDF format submitted by the nominee detailing their contributions to neuroscience education (example: course syllabus, course materials, brochure)
Nominees must have notable contributions to educating and training others about neuroscience.
- 2020: Yves De Koninck, PhD, and Liqun Luo, PhD
- 2019: Sabine Kastner, MD, PhD, and Robert T. Knight, MD
- 2018: Erik Herzog, PhD and Gönül Peker, PhD
- 2017: Ronald Calabrese, PhD and Randy Nelson, PhD
- 2016: John M. Bekkers, PhD and Bruce R. Johnson, PhD
- 2015: William B. Kristan Jr., PhD
- 2014: Eve Marder, PhD and Richard Olivo, PhD
- 2013: Keith A. Trujillo, PhD
- 2012: Sharon L. Juliano, PhD and Osvaldo D. Uchitel, MD, PhD
- 2011: Julio Ramirez, PhD
- 2010: John Nicholls, MD
- 2009: Thomas M. Jessell, PhD, Eric R. Kandel, MD, and James H. Schwartz, MD, PhD
- 2008: Dale Purves, MD
- 2007: John H. Byrne, PhD
- 2006: Donald Kennedy, PhD
- 2005: Frankie Trull
- 2004: Ronald R. Hoy, PhD
- 2003: Joe L. Martinez, Jr., PhD, and James Townsel, PhD
- 2002: Eric Chudler, PhD
- 2001: Edwin J. Furshpan, PhD, Edward A. Kravitz, PhD, and David D. Potter, PhD
- 2000: Neal Miller, PhD
- 1999: Michael Zigmond, PhD
- 1998: Gordon Shepherd, MD, DPhil
- 1997: Nancy Wexler, PhD
- 1996: Eugene Streicher, PhD
- 1995: W. Maxwell Cowan, MD, PhD
- 1994: Floyd E. Bloom, MD
- 1993: Walle J. H. Nauta, MD, PhD
- 1992: Ellen Grass
- 1991: Oliver W. Sacks, MD
Award for Education In Neuroscience Selection Committee
Shubha P Tole, PhD
Tata Inst of Fundamental Research
Farida Sohrabji, PhD
Texas A and M University System
Minmin Luo, PhD
Natl Inst of Biological Sciences
Michèle C Studer, PhD
Institute of Biology, Ibv (UMR INSERM1091/CNRS7277/UNS)
|Ex Officio Members||Term Ends|
Diana Bautista, PhD